[NBLUG/talk] More hard drive problems

Bob Blick bblick at sonic.net
Mon Oct 3 09:26:32 PDT 2005

> Some kind of superblock error, according to fsck.  Assuming that the
> other devices are still OK, how is that possible?  (The array uses
> the ReiserFS filesystem.)

By having an array, you have dodged a bullet.

At this point you have the ideal opportunity to rethink your ReiserFS
choice. Imagine for a second that this was not in a RAID-5 array. Take a
look at the recovery tools available for ReiserFS. Take a look at how
poorly they work. I had two hard drives fail in three months, both running
ReiserFS, and it completely blew me away how awful ReiserFS was as soon as
something breaks.

I'm not even going to get into the attitude of the author of ReiserFS.
Lots has already been made of that in higher circles.

Now take a look at Ext3. It's well documented. Most of the tools for Ext2
work with it.

Cheerful regards,

Bob