[NBLUG/talk] More hard drive problems

Kyle Rankin kyle at nblug.org
Mon Oct 3 10:55:26 PDT 2005

On Mon, Oct 03, 2005 at 10:32:52AM -0700, Lincoln Peters wrote:
> On Oct 3, 2005, at 9:26 AM, Bob Blick wrote:
> >
> >By having an array, you have dodged a bullet.
> >
> >At this point you have the ideal opportunity to rethink your ReiserFS
> >choice. Imagine for a second that this was not in a RAID-5 array.
> >Take a
> >look at the recovery tools available for ReiserFS. Take a look at how
> >poorly they work. I had two hard drives fail in three months, both
> >running
> >ReiserFS, and it completely blew me away how awful ReiserFS was as
> >soon as
> >something breaks.
>
> Good point.  However, the array adds up to about 500GB, almost 400GB
> of which are in use (don't ask), so unless there's a way to switch
> filesystems WITHOUT copying the entire contents of the array to
> another drive first, switching to ext3 (or any other filesystem)
> would be non-trivial.
>
> If there is a way that doesn't involve getting another new hard disk,
> I'm open to suggestions.
>

> Lincoln Peters
> lmpeters at mac.com

If you did want to change filesystems, basically you'd need at least 2 new
drives. You'd set up a degraded RAID5 on the new drives, format with the
new filesystem (I'd recommend XFS) and then copy all the files over. Once
they are copied over you can hot-add the last drive to the array and have
it sync.

--
Kyle Rankin
NBLUG President