[NBLUG/talk] Tor tonight

Chris Palmer chris at eff.org
Thu Oct 20 13:16:54 PDT 2005

Eric Eisenhart writes:

> And I'm definitely somewhat tempted to set up a Tor server now...

Let me urge you once again! :)

> Maybe I could get a WRT54g to replace my netgear router, put openwrt
> and Tor onto it...  hmmm...  (probably restricting Tor to a low enough
> amount of bandwidth that I don't notice it)

One of the problems is that, with Tor, CPU usage is a function of
bandwidth (it has to encrypt and decrypt all that traffic, after all).
Those little AP/switches/routers aren't exactly beefy, but if you limit
Tor's bandwidth usage to say 20KB/s - 50KB/s, it could work. Let me
know, actually, I'm pretty curious about that. I have a WRT54g too.

> > Also glad to. :) I and/or other EFF people are available to talk
> > about all sorts of fun stuff legal and technical.
>
> Well...  then...  Could you be more specific about topics you could
> maybe come and talk about?  ;)  Do we get a menu?  :)

Well, intellectual property rights on the Internets are always a favored
topic, and we have a lawyer who specializes in Internet surveillance and
the PATRIOT Act. Also Seth Schoen is a Trusted Computing expert.
Finally, I have a somewhat bizarre and (hopefully? probably?) wrong idea
about software and network security that I am trying to develop...

--
http://www.eff.org/about/staff/#chris_palmer