[NBLUG/talk] Setting up X-10 home automation

Walter Hansen gandalf at sonic.net
Mon Sep 19 11:34:51 PDT 2005

I'd love to set that up on ours, the dsl off/on? How much (ballpark) did
it run to do that? Also for better reliablity out of many of the DSL
modems, wrap them up in aluminum foil like a big potato. Multiple layers
might help also (one worked for us, but if I re-did it I'd put on
several). I cut little holes for the lights and left most of the back pane
open. This was at the suggestion of upper level sonic techs and *it
worked*. We used to go down daily. Now it's more of a once every while
sort of thing. I think the units are very susceptable to any type of
electronic noise. Cordless phones are supposed to be the worst source of
problems for them.