[NBLUG/talk] Suggestions for newbie Linux Person

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Sun Sep 25 21:52:47 PDT 2005

Walter Hansen wrote:

>I want to set up a dual boot for my wife. I'd like a distro that looks
>nice in x-windows and is easy to update and such.

I've had great luck with Ubuntu. We run it on our home computer. People
who use it in my house everyday are quite OS agnostic. They sometimes
even ask for solitaire!
Ubuntu looks clean and is very easy to update via Synaptic. I also like
the feature that all changes require sudo access as opposed to root.
Ubuntu does not have a root account configured, so its great for newbies
to enter their regular password in a popup window, which then sudo's
them for the change, and then its back to normal!

http://www.ubuntulinux.org/
To look at screenshots, go to http://shots.osdir.com/
If you like KDE eye-candy, try Kubuntu or from within Ubuntu, install
the Kubuntu package.

cheers,
Sameer

--