[NBLUG/talk] Contact Management

Walter Hansen gandalf at sonic.net
Wed Sep 28 16:41:10 PDT 2005

The first option. I've found a excellent enterprise solution called vtiger
(http://vtiger.com/products/crm/index.html) that will work with our
current setup, but we have not decided on it for sure as of yet. I looked
at dozzens of products at sourceforge and found several that were quite
nice, but this one I like due to it's interoperablity. It uses mysql and
an appache extionsion. It also has conetivity packs for Outlook and
Thunderbird.

I'm still very open to suggestions and feedback though. This solution is a
server/client solution. The user seems to be currently using the request
for software as a reason to go from Thunderbird to Outlook. So a windows
desktop app that interoperates with Thunderbird would be good knowledge
for me as well. Actually vtiger can be set up as a desktop app, but that's
a little much in my oppinion as it sets up an apache server, a mysql
database and the vtiger software and then you run it through a web
browser.

I tried doing this that on my 98SE desktop, but it came up with
environment memory errors and I didnt' feel like debugging from that side
anyway, so I removed it. If I do testing; I'll put it on our current
database server (red hat 9).