[NBLUG/talk] How Low Can We Go?

Kyle Rankin kyle at nblug.org
Wed Apr 19 12:44:35 PDT 2006

On Wed, Apr 19, 2006 at 11:53:39AM -0700, Stephen Cilley wrote:
> Thanks for all of your input.
> I got back from HSC about 30 minutes ago, I got
> floppies and a pcmcia 10/100 card (I needed one
> anyway.)  I tried to get one of the bootdisks to run
> the lappy and it turns out that the floppy drive is
> bad.  I couldn't even get the read LED to come on at
> boot or under windows.  I'm fairly certain it's just
> dead.  But Windows 95 has absolutely no problem with
> the NIC so I can get any data I want on there under
> the windows environment.  Other than that, it doesn't
> look like it wants to swallow my pcmcia USB interface,
> so it's my only input method.
> So how do I do it now, with just a network connection?
>
> Stephen

The best way would be to drop back by HSC and check out their selection of
used laptop floppy drives and see if you can find one that works. Otherwise
you'll have to resort to the
pull-laptop-hard-drive-and-install-from-other-computer method, which will
require an adapter so you can hook up the 2.5" laptop IDE connection to a
standard IDE port.

--
Kyle Rankin
NBLUG President