[NBLUG/talk] How Low Can We Go?

R C Smith rcsmithkd6fvi at comcast.net
Thu Apr 20 16:20:59 PDT 2006

I installed damn small linux on a Toshiba 3600 by booting from a floppy and
using a Philips parallel port cd to copy KNOPPIX to the c: drive and a boot
floppy to load dsl. You could do the same with a USB drive.The Tosh is 486
50MHz with 24 MB and a 500MB hard drive it is verry slow 6 minites to load
can't use Abiword or OO or Firefox they never (> 15  minutes) load. Except
for University (text) and Basic (gui) Linux that run from DOS prompt, I
didn't think it was worth the considerable effort. With win98 se minimal
install and minimal programs your machine would be a good emergency backup
machine. The two dos linux would be for fun and learning.