[NBLUG/talk] Universities

Stephen Cilley hydro_mancer at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 23 11:56:35 PDT 2006

I went to Cal Poly last year.  I realize this might be
something aside from the question that you are asking,
but I want to give you a big flashing neon warning
sign about that place:
Their whole administrative philosophy is kind of
bogus.  Things are pretty sticky at that school if you
make a mistake.  Most importantly DO NOT go into a
program you are at all unsure about.  It's very very
difficult to transfer majors within the school and
they will make you pay dearly for your mistake.
I went for one year, but it only took me a quarter to
realize I was in the wrong major.  I failed out after
three quarters and don't plan on returning.  In the
fall I'm going off to San Jose state under their SE
program.
As far as davis is concerned, the only thing I've
heard about them (and I heard this from Aaron) is that
they teach first year students in C/C++ instead of
Java like most other four year universities.
Both schools have nice campuses, but there is
something very pastoral about CPSLO that I've never
seen at another college.  If you are going down to
check it out any time soon, make sure you set aside an
hour or two to walk up poly canyon, it's beautiful:
http://www.originalskinstudios.org/pix/CPHills/
http://www.originalskinstudios.org/pix/Poly%20Canyon%20April%20'05/

Best of luck to both of us for the fall, eh?

Stephen Cilley