[NBLUG/talk] Universities

matt matt at cfxnetworks.com
Sun Apr 23 17:42:28 PDT 2006

Well let's see. I also took the CalPoly tour recently, and I wasn't too sure
about their CS department. First off, the best thing CalPoly has regarding
Linux is a user's group, and I don't know if it is in any way as active as
ours (someone who goes to the campus could answer that question for you).
However, I heard from one of the CS majors there that the curriculum is very
tough and requires a lot of work, but still is a good program.

Also, in the working world, a degree from CalPoly is not a bad thing to have.
From what I heard, business professionals (well, your first few jobs at
least) look at it highly, in the sense that you are already trained in a
career-oriented fashion.

Basically, CalPoly is more or less a rigorous trade school. It isn't the most
broad or "liberal arts" per se, but it will prepare you very well for a
future. UC Davis is, well, a UC. Broader, it probably would give you a little
more of a rounded education, but I don't know if it is as focused as CalPoly.

If you are absolutely sure that you want to be a computer science major and go
to work as a programmer (and don't look for all of the other "odd" courses),
CalPoly would be good. Otherwise, if you still want some wiggle room in your
future plans, UC Davis may be better.