[NBLUG/talk] More USB failures

Lincoln Peters sampln at sbcglobal.net
Wed Feb 1 16:40:55 PST 2006

On Wednesday 01 February 2006 08:51, Christopher Wagner wrote:
> I would definitely give it a shot without the USB hubs in line and see
> what you come up with..  As far as what constitutes a reliable USB hub,
> I'm not sure as I generally try to avoid USB hubs.  I imagine that
> having three USB hubs, as well as an extender may also be causing
> problems with that many devices.  It also sounds like some of these
> devices could connect directly to the computer as you still seem to have
> two ports free, though it may interfere with your kitty-proofing.

Odd, then, that this problem, while relatively severe, is the only problem
I've observed, and it only occurs on a few rare occasions.  Even the USB
keyboard that I connected through 3 hubs and an active extension cable has
performed flawlessly (although I don't use it very often).

By the way, I have NOT tried to re-connect the Z22 to the computer since I
originally posted on the issue yesterday, and I have not experienced any
further problems.  Might just be a coincidence, though (the air coming out of
the vents doesn't feel quite as hot as when the controller last failed).

As for kitty-proofing, the cat is now 9 months old and is not interested in
biting or clawing anything that doesn't move and/or bleed, so now I just need
to make sure he doesn't step on the power switches on my surge protectors.
Interestingly enough, a few cardboard boxes, a few well-placed holes for
cables, and some mailing tape worked perfectly for protecting against that
particular hazard.

--
Lincoln Peters
<sampln at sbcglobal.net>