[NBLUG/talk] Quicken vs. GnuCash vs. ??

sjs at sonic.net sjs at sonic.net
Fri Feb 17 13:14:39 PST 2006

Rick wrote:
>  I've googled a bit, and come up with a few ancient reviews.  Does anyone
> know of any reliable and recent information on financial applications?
>
>  Thanks,
>  Rick

Hi.

I've been using GnuCash for several years but just for simple stuff --
checking acount and three credit cards.  It works quite nicely but is a
double-entry accounting system.  It's not more complicated to use than
Quicken -- which I used to use several years ago.

I don't think you will be able to export anything from it to Turbo-Tax or
anything like that and it won't run on Windows.

They have a very active mailing list and when I needed help, they were
very helpful.

I'd suggest checking the mailing list and poking around the FAQ.  I
actually ran both systems in parallel for a couple of months before
setteling on GnuCash.  If you have the time, that might be a good idea to.

For what I do, GnuCash works very nicely.

I think I saw reviews of several Linux accounting programs on Linux Format
a while back.  You might check their page too.

Steve S.