[NBLUG/talk] Totem issues

William Tracy afishionado at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 11:30:35 PST 2006

Hello,

I got a friend (who has no previous Linux experience) to install
Ubuntu on an old laptop. Now he wants to look at some movies that are
embedded in web pages.

The page he showed me specifically is http://www.robotcombat.com/ .
Click on the "Team Nightmare" button on the left; the next page
contains an embedded movie that Totem tries to load, but then cannot
find the codec for. Unfortunately, Totem isn't helpful about what that
codec *is*. A peek at the HTML source suggests that it's a Quicktime
movie (.mov extension).

He then clicks on the "Video" link on the left menu, and Firefox
closes without even an error message.

So, right now, I'm wondering if anyone knows how to at least coax any
more useful information out of Totem or Firefox (right now I'm
thinking I should have tried launching Firefox from the console to see
if I would get any more output there). I'd also be interested in
hearing about other movie players I should try installing that might
work better.

Ideas? Any more specific information I need to get next time I visit? :-)

William
(Who hates movies embedded in web pages...)