[NBLUG/talk] "apt-get update" errors

Lincoln Peters sampln at sbcglobal.net
Sun Feb 26 17:31:00 PST 2006

Lately, when I run "apt-get update", I've occasionally gotten errors
claiming that the files it downloaded are compressed.  Here are a few
samples of the error messages I've seen:

----------

bzip2: Compressed file ends unexpectedly;
	perhaps it is corrupted?  *Possible* reason follows.
bzip2: Inappropriate ioctl for device
	Input file = (stdin), output file = (stdout)

It is possible that the compressed file(s) have become corrupted.
You can use the -tvv option to test integrity of such files.

You can use the `bzip2recover' program to attempt to recover
data from undamaged sections of corrupted files.

Errftp://linux.csua.berkeley.edu stable/main Packages
   Sub-process bzip2 returned an error code (2)

----------

gzip: stdin: not in gzip format
Errftp://linux.csua.berkeley.edu testing/main Sources
   Sub-process gzip returned an error code (1)

Note that, although the sample errors I provided here are both from the
<ftp://linux.csua.berkeley.edu/> mirror, I've gotten the same errors
from the <ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/> mirror and the primary server
(<ftp://ftp.debian.org/>) as well.

Has anyone else been experiencing this problem?

--
Lincoln Peters
<sampln at sbcglobal.net>