[NBLUG/talk] Networking newbie

A'fish'ionado afishionado at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 13:39:50 PST 2006

# ifconfig eth0 broadcast 10.0.0.0
SIOCSIFBRDADDR: Cannot assign requested address
# ifconfig -a
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:50:8D:53:57:B3
          BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
          Interrupt:201 Base address:0xc000

Would this be an issue with the NIC hardware or just me doing
something stupid? (My computer has networking on the motherboard.)

> and that will fix it up (won't fix it when it reboots but that's another
> issue you'll have to figure out based on how your distribution).

Well, at least then I haven't permanently hosed anything yet. :-)

> on the other hand if you wanted to make a giant subnet with 16 million
> addresses for _all_ your machines ;-)

I feel better about my sanity already. :-)

William