[NBLUG/talk] Networking newbie

Dean A. Roman droman at romansys.com
Wed Jan 11 09:55:38 PST 2006

William,

  I'm not sure how your pinging, but it sounds like your doing a
broadcast ping (ping 10.0.0.255) which will just about always return
packets because your sending the ping to every host on the network.

To help out more, you should include the following info:
-  ifconfig from each box
-  actual command line you are trying to run and from what box.

Here is a good starting point in Debian to configure
interfaces/networks/routes...it's not the purist approach using ifconfig
however it does use the debian mechanism for bringing interfaces up and
down.

#On the server (I'm assuming your gateway/router is 10.0.0.1..change it
to whatever it really is):
vi /etc/network/interfaces
#ENTER THIS INFO INTO FILE==>
   auto eth0
   iface eth0 inet static
        address 10.0.0.12
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        network 10.0.0.0
        broadcast 10.0.0.255
        gateway 10.0.0.1

#TO START THE INTERFACE
ifup eth0

#TO STOP THE INTERFACE
ifdown eth0

#TO VIEW ROUTES
netstat -rn
  or
route

#TO RUN TEST PINGS
#FROM WORKSTATION/CLIENT (the machine getting a dhcp address)
#This will test connectivity between the two machines
ping 10.0.0.12

#FROM THE SERVER MACHINE (the machine running dhcpd)
# x.x.x.x is whatever the dhcp server handed out to the client machine
(probably 10.0.0.200)
ping x.x.x.x

#TO SSH FROM MACHINE TO MACHINE
#MAKE SURE sshd in config file /etc/ssh/sshd_config is set to allow
connections from outside the localhost by setting "ListenAddress 0.0.0.0".
#MAKE SURE SSHD IS RUNNING (ps -ax | grep "sbin/sshd" | grep -v
grep)...There's probably an easier way to do this
# IF NOT, THEN START IT  (/etc/init.d/sshd start)
#FROM WORKSTATION/CLIENT
ssh 10.0.0.12
#FROM THE SERVER (replace x.x.x.x with the actually address et. 10.0.0.200)
ssh x.x.x.x

#TO CHANGE THE hostname to work correctly when doing "hostname -i"
vi /etc/hosts
#CHANGE IN FILE
#OLD LINE# 127.0.0.1  localhost   servername
#NEW LINE# 127.0.0.1  localhost
#NEW LINE#10.0.0.12  servername

#MAKE SURE "/etc/hostname" has the correct name in it.

I hope that helped,
   ---Dean.