[NBLUG/talk] Concerning Linux compatibility with the new MacBook Pro

Lincoln Peters sampln at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 16 13:36:59 PST 2006

On Monday 16 January 2006 12:14, A'fish'ionado wrote:
> So, is now the time to get a G5 iMac while the getting's good? I'm
> torn between grabbing one from the Yellowdog people while I can still
> get it new with a warranty, and waiting for the cheap used ones to hit
> the market...

As long as you're planning to only run Linux and open-source applications on
it, and there are working LInux drivers for the iMac G5, this would be a good
time to get one.  However, if you're planning to run OSX, it's probably not a
good idea.

Why not get a G5 iMac and run OSX on it?  Consider the path Apple is taking.
Sure, for a while all of the Mac software will run on both Intel and PowerPC
Macs, and because of Rosetta, the Intel Macs will be able to run just about
anything that a PowerPC Mac can run.  However, there is no similar technology
to allow PowerPC Macs to run software for Intel Macs, so when developers
finally stop supporting PowerPC, new software will not run at all on PowerPC
Macs!

I had been considering buying a PowerBook G4 in the hopes that the
announcement of Intel-based Macs would cause their prices to go down.  Then I
realized how quickly the Intel transition is probably going to happen, and
finally concluded that if I need a new laptop, I need it to continue to be
useful for at least the next three years, and I need it NOW, then I'd be
better off pre-ordering a MacBook Pro.  This is the ONLY way I could have
been made to pay the premium for a state-of-the-art computer on my limited
budget.

--
Lincoln Peters
<sampln at sbcglobal.net>

* Knghtbrd unleashes a pair of double barreled snurf guns and covers
  jesus with snurf darts
<jesus> meany :P

/~\  The ASCII Ribbon Campaign
\ /    No HTML/RTF in email