[NBLUG/talk] Trying to install a SCSI scanner

Lincoln Peters sampln at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 19 09:26:20 PST 2006

On Wednesday 18 January 2006 21:31, Bob Blick wrote:
> On 18 Jan 2006 at 20:36, Lincoln Peters wrote:
> > I have acquired a used UMAX Astra 600S scanner.  It uses a SCSI
> > interface, and according to the SANE website, it works under Linux.
>
> I had one of those. It pukes on the scsi bus so bad that it must be
> the only unit on the chain. I ended up putting in the cheesy card that
> came with the scanner in addition to my regular scsi card.

I don't remember if I got the SCSI card when I got the scanner (it was used).
However, even if I do have the card, or I dig another SCSI card out of my
garage, I'm starting to run low on expansion slots in this computer (I have
two add-on IDE cards, a SCSI card, a sound card, and two video cards, leaving
only one empty PCI slot that I had been thinking about putting a FireWire
card in).

Maybe a USB-to-SCSI adapter would be a better option?  Anyone ever used one
successfully under Linux (preferably one that costs less than a new scanner)?

--
Lincoln Peters
<sampln at sbcglobal.net>

"The lesser of two evils -- is evil."