[NBLUG/talk] Digital cameras

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Thu Jan 19 23:01:22 PST 2006

On Thu, Jan 19, 2006 at 10:02:47PM -0800, Kyle Rankin wrote:
> Almost every camera I've seen nowadays act as a usb storage device when you
> hook it up to a computer whether it's Windows, Mac, or Linux, so you can
> treat it just like a usb hard drive and copy the files off of it. Basically
> I'd recommend finding the camera you like first, then doing a bit of
> research to see if it acts as a usb storage device. Chances are it does.

And if that doesn't work, just pick one that has removable media that
you can use easily under Linux (e.g., FAT-formatted Compact Flash, which
you can access as a removable drive using an inexpensive USB reader or,
in laptops, for example, a CF->PCMCIA adapter.)

(Honestly, I /never/ plug my camera into my Linux box, since it's so easy
to take the CF card out and plug it into my reader.)

--
-bill!                                    Tux Paint 2006 wall calendar,
bill at newbreedsoftware.com                CDROM, bumper sticker & apparel