[NBLUG/talk] Nokia cameraphone and linux #2

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Thu Jan 26 16:28:49 PST 2006

On Thu, Jan 26, 2006 at 03:29:55PM -0800, Robert Hayes wrote:
> Whoops sorry.
>
> More information may be in order.
>
> I don't utilize USB on my machine, and the cable I have for the phone is 9 pin
> serial version.

I dislike Nokias.... at least BREW ones.  And that's what we have here at
work (we're a BREW game dev. shop).

I've not tried it with any of our Nokias (did I mention I don't like them?),
but on my own personal LG VX7000 (a BREW camera phone avail. from Verizon)
I've been able to use the Open Source tool "BITPIM" to get photos off of it.

That was under Windows >X^P Professional, though, but I believe it's
out for Linux, too.  Check http://bitpim.sf.net/ to see if your
particular model phone is supported.

No idea if it does serial, though.  (Under Windows, with the BREW dev. apps
from Qualcomm, we use both USB and serial, depending on what kind of cable
we have for a phone.  So, under Windows at least, I imagine it wouldn't
matter that you have.  Serial is probably easier.  With USB under WIndows,
we have to reinstall the driver just because we plugged it into a different
port on the hub.  It's madness!  I'm _really_ liking UDEV on Linux, BTW ;) )

Good luck!

--
-bill!                                    Tux Paint 2006 wall calendar,
bill at newbreedsoftware.com                CDROM, bumper sticker & apparel