[NBLUG/talk] /etc/make.conf issues and a desire to strangle nVidia

Stephen Cilley hydro_mancer at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 30 10:41:18 PST 2006

Two issues:

First, I just installed Gentoo this weekend and after
I got everything set up that I needed I went to go and
add something to my USE variable and found that my
/etc/make.conf had been totally useless during all of
those emerge commands.  For whatever reason it had
replaced all of the newline characters I had typed
with "^M" so that the entire file had been commented
out and I guess it was running make on defaults.  For
whatever reason make never once bitched at me.  My
question is this: I don't mind recompiling most of
that stuff, but does it make a difference (the stuff
in the make.conf)?  I mean, my kernel, yeah, and any
of the other small utilities, but re emerge ing xorg
and kde is going to be painful... again.

Second, I'm having a very mysterious problem loading
x11 with my nVidia drivers.  I do startx and the
screen goes black and it flashes slightly and then
nothing, it just hangs, and no amount of
ctrl-alt-backspace ing can get it out.  I can't get a
virtual terminal, either. I checked my
/var/log/Xorg.0.log and it doesn't end in anything
even remotely incriminating.  The last line (which is
part of resource init) is
[45] 0 0 0x000003c0 - 0x000003df (0x20) IS[B]
(or something extremely close to that, I can't
remember exactly.)
A lot of people seem to have had a lot of different
issues which are similar in symptoms, but unrelated in
cause (I've tried everything I found on google) but
was wondering if any of you had any suggestions.
(btw, that's kernel gentoo-sources 2.6.15-r1 and x11
6.8.2, in case you're wondering.)

Thank you,
Stephen