[NBLUG/talk] /etc/make.conf issues and a desire to strangle nVidia

Aaron Grattafiori nite at sonic.net
Mon Jan 30 19:18:37 PST 2006

Stephen Cilley wrote:

>Two issues:
>
>First, I just installed Gentoo this weekend and after
>I got everything set up that I needed I went to go and
>add something to my USE variable and found that my
>/etc/make.conf had been totally useless during all of
>those emerge commands.  For whatever reason it had
>replaced all of the newline characters I had typed
>with "^M" so that the entire file had been commented
>out and I guess it was running make on defaults.  For
>whatever reason make never once bitched at me.  My
>question is this: I don't mind recompiling most of
>that stuff, but does it make a difference (the stuff
>in the make.conf)?  I mean, my kernel, yeah, and any
>of the other small utilities, but re emerge ing xorg
>and kde is going to be painful... again.

Can you post your /etc/make.conf? What is your processor type (em64t
right) and amount of RAM too?

>Second, I'm having a very mysterious problem loading
>x11 with my nVidia drivers.  I do startx and the
>screen goes black and it flashes slightly and then
>nothing, it just hangs, and no amount of
>ctrl-alt-backspace ing can get it out.

What is the nvidia driver version your using? 6699 is buggy and i had
problems with it.
There is a good guide on setting up drivers on the gentoo wiki and here
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/nvidia-guide.xml

.. ahh.. your in irc i'll talk to you there...

 -Aaron