[NBLUG/talk] Mouse Server

Robert P. Thille rthille at rangat.org
Thu Jun 1 12:23:29 PDT 2006

Lincoln Peters wrote:
> If that's a problem, then maybe a gigantic tower wouldn't be so bad
> after all...
>
> Come to think of it, I seem to remember that the later PowerBooks and
> the new MacBooks have a sudden motion sensor (used to park the hard disk
> in case of a sudden drop) that can be accessed via a generic API.  I
> seem to remember reading somewhere (can't remember exactly where) that
> someone used that sensor to create a burglar alarm.  I think you can
> even arm and disarm the burglar alarm using the included remote control,
> although it probably doesn't amount to much more than security through
> obscurity (anyone with an Apple Remote could disable the alarm, unless
> there was a specific key sequence required).

subverting software protections like that is too easy.  Close it, unplug
it and remove the battery.  Then take it home, boot of CD and wipe the
drive.  'security' subverted.

the laptops and mac minis have the 'kensington' lock slot.  You should
be able to pick up a cable lock to tie it down for ~$15.

Robert