[NBLUG/talk] Linux for media player system

Jose I. Sanchez dahose01 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 13:42:27 PDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Barry Stump" <barry at shrewdlogic.com>
To: "General NBLUG chatter about anything Linux, answers to questions,etc."
<talk at nblug.org>
Sent: Thursday, June 15, 2006 10:03 AM
Subject: Re: [NBLUG/talk] Linux for media player system

> Well, if I was doing this project, I would use a trimmed down install of
> linux (probably booting from compact flash),

What distro. are you thinking?  There are just so many to choose from and
for a Linux noob like me it can be daunting to make the right choice.

>with Mozilla for the UI (XUL and Javascript) and either mplayer or VLC to
>play the media.  You can make

I'll do some reading on VLC tonight.

> a fully functional system this way that occupies between 32 and 128 MB,
> not counting audio/video storage space.  Drivers for the bluetooth GPS
> might be a problem though.

Bluetooth and GPS are a must.  I intend this to be a full media and NAV
system.  That's what makes Windows so stinkin appealing.  It has all that
compatibility, but it's a pig of an OS.

>Elo Touchsystems makes good touch screens that are linux compatible (
>http://www.elotouch.com/ ).
>
> -Barry

Thanks for this and please keep the input coming.  I can't even source parts
until I get the OS question figured out.

Jose