[NBLUG/talk] Email Boxes

Walter Hansen gandalf at sonic.net
Mon Jun 19 10:53:36 PDT 2006

On a stock madrake(mandrivia) system (sendmail) I've got a dozzen or so
stock mail aliases. As the machine actually does serve mail I'm less than
happy about having additional pipes for spam. I'm wondering if it's safe
to just put them to /dev/null or even just delete them.

main bunch
--------------
bin
daemon
games
ingres
nobody
system
toor
uucp
manager
dumper
operator
decode
mail

different ones
apache - forwarding to root, but I wonder why apache could need an email
address. Yes I'm running apache.
postmaster - I'm pretty sure I'm required to have this one. I have it
auto-replying with a message saying "if this is an actual issue send email
to whansen at corporate-image dot com" as I was shocked and amazed that I
was getting spam on it (a new low for spammers).