[NBLUG/talk] Transferring data from Oracle to an open-source database

Lincoln Peters sampln at sbcglobal.net
Sat May 27 12:45:01 PDT 2006

I just remembered one final capability, and this is one that would
definitely prevent me from using the "express edition" of Oracle.  I
need to be able to replicate this database across multiple computers: a
central server and one or more laptop computers or other portable
devices.  I haven't studied the EULA for Oracle in detail, but I suspect
that this would count as running on more than one CPU.  In addition,
since laptop computers are involved, it will not always be possible to
synchronize the replicas immediately after one mirror is changed.

Any thoughts?  Some quick research indicates that MySQL supports
replication, but only allows changes to be made on the server (not
useful if you have more than one field biologist using a laptop to
survey an area!).  Perhaps I could get the results I want using
clustering, but it looks like clustering was built for an entirely
different set of goals, so I can't tell if it would work in this
scenario.  On the other hand, PostgreSQL seems to support an "update
anywhere" style of replication via a third-party utility called
Replicator <http://pgreplicator.sourceforge.net/>, and thus seems to do
exactly what I'm looking for.

Has anyone used replication with any of these databases?  Any advice
would be greatly appreciated.

--
Lincoln Peters
<sampln at sbcglobal.net>

Sometimes when you look into his eyes you get the feeling that someone
else is driving.
		-- David Letterman