[NBLUG/talk] Transferring data from Oracle to an open-source database

Lincoln Peters sampln at sbcglobal.net
Mon May 29 13:10:20 PDT 2006

Troy Arnold wrote:
> Your app will be fine with mysql.  For better or worse, it's ubiquitous so
> it will be good for you to get used to it.

Understood.

> Use a database abstraction layer and porting your app to another RDMS will
> be easier should it become necessary or desirable.  You'll still have to
> port chunks of your SQL, but at least you wouldn't need to update your
> function calls.

I'll post my findings as I convert the Oracle database to MySQL.

By the way, the front-end I built for the Oracle database in the class
was done in JSP, using Java beans and JDBC to connect to Oracle.  Anyone
happen to know how much work would likely be involved in modifying the
front-end to work with MySQL?

> You /are/ using the fink sources, right ?  http://fink.sf.net/
>
> I've successfully built the mysql-client on an Intel mac, but I haven't
> tried to build the server.

Actually, I used the binaries for MacOS X available from the MySQL
website <http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/mysql/5.0.html>.  I figured this
would be easier than using Fink.

--
Lincoln Peters
<sampln at sbcglobal.net>

In love, she who gives her portrait promises the original.
		-- Bruton