[NBLUG/talk] Udev and GDM Greeter

Lincoln Peters sampln at sbcglobal.net
Tue May 30 21:12:14 PDT 2006

Stephen Cilley wrote:
> It's deffinately not the BIOS, it wasn't acting this
> way with the last install and I was using the exact
> same BIOS settings.  Any other thoughts?

Perhaps it has something to do with the order in which the modules are
being loaded?  I found that if I had a bunch of USB devices attached to
the computer at startup, they could be recognized in a haphazard
order--which is not so useful for storage devices.  Maybe you have
something similar going on.

Since you're using IDE drives *and* SATA drives, assuming that you're
trying to boot from the IDE drive, you could try building a custom
kernel that has the IDE driver built-in but the SATA driver as a
module.  That way, the IDE drive is guaranteed to be initialized first.

--
Lincoln Peters
<sampln at sbcglobal.net>

The penalty for laughing in a courtroom is six months in jail; if it
were not for this penalty, the jury would never hear the evidence.
		-- H. L. Mencken