[NBLUG/talk] [Fwd: [tlug] Microsoft to embrace Linux -- not a joke!]

Walter Hansen gandalf at sonic.net
Fri Nov 3 11:29:48 PST 2006

Bunch of media news.
<snip>

My take on it is that it's mostly PR. Beyond that the only Linux that M$
is shaking hands with is Novell SUSE. I do not trust all the references to
M$ protecting it's intelectual data. There was an overhanging cloud that
somehonw Linux in general is infringing on M$'s code, and that M$ was
forgiving SUSE for this offense (but not everyone else).  I think the
whole thing could be engineerd to put the idea that Linux is stealing from
M$ into public opinion.

As far as all the interoperability stuff, I think it already exists. Some
of the text refered to Openoffice being able to interact with microsoft
files as if it hadden't done that for several years. I'm not sure but I
think people are running vituralized M$ on Linux right now (I just don't
have a need to do that). Same goes for vitualized Linux on M$.

I think that on the cool side they could develop software, much like wine
that would allow M$ and windows software in general to run under Linux,
and it might even work better, but then their track record isn't that
good. Perhaps the other side of the coin could be made to work also with
Linux software running under M$, but then a lot of it already does, their
are ports for most everythigng of interest.

The good thing is that they did state that this is something that is
unlikely to affect anybody except large compaines and government entities.
They made that pretty clear. For the average guy, it's almost meaningless.

Only time will tell if it's a carefully planned attack or a legitmate
attempt to make intergrated IT better than it is.