[NBLUG/talk] Filesystem recommendation for a large external drive

Andrew argonaut at gmx.co.uk
Wed Nov 8 22:18:22 PST 2006

Barry Stump wrote on Wed, 8 Nov 2006 20:35:46 -0800:

> On 11/8/06, Andrew <argonaut at gmx.co.uk> wrote:
> > Until then, it looks like you're stuck with FAT32. Why don't
> > you try partitioning the drive into, say, four 125 GB
> > partitions? You'll still be stuck with a 4 GB file size
> > limit, but it might alleviate some of the other problems
> > you're experiencing.
> >
> > Good luck.
> >
> > A.
>
> I'm going to try ext2 for now, since for the most part,
> writing will be done from the linux machine and the Mac can
> mount it read-only. Pity the only file system supported out of
> the box by linux, os x, and windows has so many limitations.

Yeah. Even my Windows-using friends complain about FAT32 on
their external drives. C'est la vie. I'm not a big fan of NTFS,
but just about any way you slice it, it's better than FATxx.
It'll be nice when NTFS read/write support is solid on Linux,
OS X, and any other OS you happen to use. (Of course, it would
be even nicer if ext2, a fully open source filesystem, replaced
FATxx as *the* cross-platform filesystem.)

Anyway, as I said before, good luck. And read those forum
messages so you're ready if (when) a bug bites you.

A.