[NBLUG/talk] Lappy almost ready -- Xorg driver query

Scott Doty scott at sonic.net
Tue Nov 14 13:46:41 PST 2006

My lappy is almost ready for tonight's demonstration, but -- in my zeal to
have it all up-to-date -- a "yum update" seems to have updated the Xorg
server...

I can run it fine with "vesa" selected, but video looks torn and messy if I
play dv with kino.  I _can_ demo using "vesa", but I'd rather use the i810
driver, which is what I've been using all along...

This doesn't seem to be the i810 kernel module itself, as when I boot the
old 2.6.16 kernel, I get the same behavior.  So it's something to do with
the Xorg server.

Before I roll up my sleeves and dig in to the drivers (actually, I'll
probably end up calling LinuxCertified, as it's one of their lappies), I was
wondering if anyone had run into this problem before?  Or:  is there an
"accelerated vesa" mode that I might be able to use for tonight's demo?

Thanks! :)

 -Scott
p.s. I just made sure that the firewire works between my dv cam and the
lappy -- works great, glad I don't have to fight with that! :)