[NBLUG/talk] Booting Knoppix over NFS

Daniel Kinon kinon at sonoma.edu
Wed Feb 14 15:27:58 PST 2007

Hey All,
   I've run into a problem that I can't seem to fix.  I'm trying to PXE
boot into Knoppix, the kernel and minirt.gz load just fine and knoppix
starts to boot but then dies with an error "Can't find KNOPPIX image".
The versions of knoppix I have tried to boot are 4.0.2 and 5.1.1 .  My
guess is that it is failing on mounting the nfsdir but there is so
little information that I don't have much to go on.
   I'm using syslinux to PXE boot which has been working fine.  NFS runs
behind iptables but I have configured NFS to work behind iptables...
and when iptables is off I get the same error. I have tested mounting
the nfsdir on a linux box in the same iprange and I had no problems.  I
use the following stanza to boot into knoppix:

label knoppix
  kernel knoppix/knoppix5/boot/isolinux/linux
  append nfsdir=XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:/tftpboot/knoppix/knoppix5 lang=us
ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init apm=power-off vga=791 nomce
loglevel=0 quiet initrd=knoppix/knoppix5/boot/isolinux/minirt.gz
BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix

Does anyone have any ideas as to what I am doing wrong?
thanks,
- Dan Kinon

PS- I have tested both 4.0.2 and 5.1.1 with the following conditions to no
avail:
  * iptables on nfs server up and down
  * with and without append-option: secure
  * with and without append-option: nodhcp