[NBLUG/talk] [WLUG] Firefox seems to eat up memory

Dan Pritts danno at umich.edu
Tue Jul 10 08:33:51 PDT 2007

As others have mentioned, flash can really eat the RAM.

I'd suggest the firefox flashblock plugin to prevent flash from
running except when you actually want it.

I've read that Firefox also aggressively uses memory in some cases
when you have a lot of tabs/windows open; it keeps the fully-rendered
version of the page in RAM so it doesn't have to re-render when you
switch back to the tab.  Apparently this is somewhat memory intensive.

To deal with the leaks, a simple daily restart of firefox might be in order.