[NBLUG/talk] install fest

Troy Arnold troy at zenux.net
Tue Mar 6 11:04:45 PST 2007

On Tue, Mar 06, 2007 at 11:43:07AM -0700, dogstar wrote:
> I'd like to learn about installing Linux applications.
>
> I can install Linux... these days it often installs itself.  What's holding me
> back from a Microsoft-free computing environment is lack of applications.
> Music processing would be an example - CD ripping, burning, etc.

In the meantime, try k3b for your general-purpose cd/dvd
authoring/copying/ripping.  To rip music CD's look into grip.  Your distro
should have packages for both of these, although you may need some
non-default repositories for some of the patent-encumbered stuff (like mp3
de/encoding).  Looks like you're using an apt-based distro -- try the
'synaptic' package manager.

> I can put Linux - say Debian or Knoppix - on my HP laptop, although I
> can't make the built in wireless work.  Would it be appropriate for the
> install fest to work on installing one or more applications?  Will there
> be facilities for downloading?  I'd like to become familiar with the
> process.

Yes, there's network access at the installfests.  Kyle mentioned that yeah,
you can get help with your wifi.  Although it's 'officially' unsupported,
I'm sure someone can help you get a few specific apps installed and maybe
even show you how to use them.  (Easy for me to say -- I won't be at the
'fest)

-t