[NBLUG/talk] Intermittent USB failures getting worse; search for new motherboard becomes more urgent (long)

Steve Johnson fratm at adnd.com
Fri Mar 16 08:57:08 PDT 2007

On 3/16/07, Sean <seanvanco at gmail.com> wrote:

> As for VGA vs DVI, DVI ports do supposedly offer better resolution,
> but the images appear to be just fine if you use a DVI to VGA adapter.
> I don't use HD, so I cannot speak to that possibility. I don't know
> how the nVidia driver for Linux handles multi-monitor support, so you
> may want to specifically look into that (such as desktop spanning,
> stretching, etc.).

In my experience, one of the things that I noticed about DVI vs VGA,
is that when you change resolutions, you do not get that pause and
screen blanking as the system tries to figure out what you are doing.
When I change resolutions, it is almost instant now, where with my VGA
connected display I have that pause and blank screen for a second or
2.

Nvidia's drivers for multi displays are great, and in my opinion a
breeze to setup, where ATI can be troublesome and not quite work the
way you expect them to.  I have an ATI setup at work with 2 LCD
displays connected via DVI, and it took me a while to get them to work
as one big desktop, and I stil can't get beryl/compiz to work on it,
but if I drop to one display beryl/compiz runs fine..  At home setting
this all up on my nvidia GeForce card (7600GT) was  as easy as pie.

I tend to stick with nvidia for my graphics cards, even though their
drivers are not open source, they are still pretty darn good compared
to the ATI stuff.

I have heard good things about the Intel graphics, all though a bit
slower, the drivers are opensource (I believe), and have great linux
support, I have read that a lot of people are choosing the Intel
graphics for this reason.

-Steve