[NBLUG/talk] Can't ssh to Ubuntu using PuTTY

Sean seanvanco at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 16:02:36 PDT 2007

Since you are getting this error even before getting a user prompt,
I'd say it's one of two issues.

First could be that the sshd daemon is turned off. I'm not that
familiar with Ubuntu, but make sure that sshd is running at the
appropriate levels. I usually work at the command line with Gentoo,
and it's been awhile since I've worked with Ubuntu.

The second could be that you turned on a firewall that is blocking
port 22. If you have a firewall turned on, find the interface and see
if you can add 22 as an allowed port. You may have to restart the
firewall daemon to make the settings kick in.

Let us know what you find out.