[NBLUG/talk] [CPLUG] Weirdness: BIOS POST lockups

William Tracy afishionado at gmail.com
Sun May 27 13:14:31 PDT 2007

An update.

I ran memtest86 for over forty hours continuously with no errors.

Before that, when I had Linux running continuously so that I didn't
have to reboot, I ran some long raytracing jobs just for the heck of
it. It may not count as a real CPU stress test, but I had rendering
jobs that took over an hour that did not encounter any errors.

This morning, I was running into lockups again while trying to power
up the machine. I was able to replicate the problems several times
with all external cables unplugged except the screen and the power
cable (ethernet, PS/2, and all USB devices were all unplugged), and
with all of the ribbon cable unplugged from the motherboard.

At this point, it really looks like the problem is the motherboard.
:-P I need to get in there and hunt for evidence of capacitor plague.

Anyway, thanks again for all the ideas, everybody.

William