[NBLUG/talk] Using import from ImageMagick on Ubuntu

Steve Bursch sbursch at sonic.net
Fri Nov 23 11:43:21 PST 2007

I'm using Ubuntu 7.10 with Gnome.  From time-to-time, I need to capture some regions on the screen (usually error messages, or similar items).  I want use the import program created by ImageMagick because it allows me to define the region to be captured by dragging the mouse.

I'm having problems, however, because import is a command-line program, and the terminal screen often gets in the way of capturing the region of interest.  The import program intercepts keystrokes, so it seems I'm prohibited from shifting the focus from the terminal session to the window containing the region I want to capture.  Clicking the mouse in the window containing the region causes import to capture the whole screen...not what I want.

Does anyone have any tips on how to get around this problem?  I'm willing to consider an entirely different program, if the import program is inappropriate for the region capturing task.

Thanks in advance....Steve