[NBLUG/talk] PCMCIA IDE devices vs. libATA

Scrappy Laptop scrappylaptop at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 27 10:32:06 PST 2007

Progress, of a sort:

  After more buglist research (and finding the FAQ), as of November 2007, it looks like libATA is only 'very reliable' for SATA Hdd's, most PATA hard drive setups (so long as libATA and the old ide-driver don't have to contend over who is going to do DMA) and 'some' ATAPI CD/DVD drives as well as 'some' memory cards.  PCMCIA, PIO, reduced IDE instruction set devices and 'other' devices don't often get their bugs bumped up, which seems to indicate that basic functionality is still being completed.  Given the state of development I am at a loss as to why it was included in the 7.10 release, considering Ubuntu's target market.  However, when it works libATA works good and is easier to maintain.

  Counterbalancing that frustration, I have rediscovered Linux from Scratch (last visited back in the kernel 2.x days) and am having a blast!  As in, "Aaah, so THAT's why 'xyz' is set up that way...".  I'm starting to think it's a Good Idea (tm) to do a LFS build with each major kernel release.  In this case, it's probably more appropriate to start off with LFS anyway.  The system will need to boot from a DOC, then mount the pcmcia hdd and doesn't have a lot of cycles or RAM to spare...and, the goal is to stay under 10 watts total.   I'm a dba by trade not an EE, so  these roadblocks become my learning opportunities...

-Frank

Bob Blick <bbblick at sbcglobal.net> wrote: Scrappy Laptop wrote:
> Is anyone else having trouble with Ubuntu 7.10
>  recognizing PCMCIA IDE devices, specifically
> Type II hard disk drives?

I've had troubles with 7.10 finding IDE devices, spooking me enough to
keep me from using 7.10 on anything.

Cheerful regards,

Bob