[NBLUG/talk] VMware on Linux on Xen with non-linux Dom0...

Robert P. Thille list-nblug-talk at rangat.org
Wed Sep 12 21:10:56 PDT 2007

Andrew wrote:
> Robert P. Thille wrote on Tue, 04 Sep 2007 15:09:04 -0700:
> Have you tried other distros? Why not grab a bunch of LiveCDs
> (Knoppix, Ubuntu, eLive, etc., including one or two with a 2.4
> kernel), pop them in one at a time and try to kill each one.
I went to Linuxworld last year and brought home a bunch of distros, and
tried each one at the time, and I could kill them all :-(
> If
> you can't find anything that will stay up, you may have to
> abandon that board,
Thought about that, figured I might get a new Portwell Core 2 Quad
capable Mini-ITX board, just because I can, but that'd be way way
overkill for this.  Right now I'm transferring files from my old server
and the old Cobalt RaQ2+ is maxed out on CPU doing rsync over ssh, and
the new 1.5GHz VIA C7 board is at ~5% :-)

  or else (gasp!) run Windows as your host OS.
On a cold day in hell :-)  I want to be able to run Windows
occasionally, mostly for dev-tools for MicroChip PIC chips, or TI MSP430
USB Dev stick, or the Bitscope USB Oscilloscope/Logic Analyzer, but I
would never run it as a base-os and then run my servers on it, either
directly or in a VM...just had too many bad experiences with Windows...

> If, however, you do find one that will stay up, you can take
> heart knowing that there *is* a configuration for Linux that
> will run stable on your board.

So far, NetBSD seems to be completely stable, so I'll probably stick
with that.  I might further investigate VMWare on NetBSD, because
apparently some time in the dim past that worked...

Thanks,

Robert

--
Robert Thille                7575 Meadowlark Dr.; Sebastopol, CA 95472
Home: 707.824.9753    Office/VOIP: 707.780.1560     Cell: 707.217.7544