[NBLUG/talk] Ubuntu printer question

Mike Rice dolo724 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 26 12:47:28 PDT 2007

on Xubuntu 7.04: I'm running an HP2605dn (duplexer, networked) but the
CUPS drivers only include the 2605. I have full functionality and am
quite pleased with the ease of setting it up. BTW, I like the
gnome-cups-manager for being easier and apparently faster than
KDE-print setup.

I have confidence that if the D1341 is essentially the same as the
D1300 or the DJ3320 you'll have no problems at all. Test one driver and
uninstall it if you aren't satisfied.

Mike

--- Steve Bursch <sbursch at sonic.net> wrote:

> I'm running Ubuntu 7.04 on an older Intel machine.  I'd like to
> purchase and install an HP printer for the system.  I have in mind an
> inexpensive HP Deskjet D1341 printer.  While doing the research, I
> noticed that the Deskjet D1341 wasn't specifically mentioned in the
> list of supported HP printers in the Ubuntu "Add a printer" dialog.
> However, the HP Deskjet D1300 is supported.  If I select the HP D1300
> as the printer, will the D1341 functionality be supported?
>
> The version of the HPLIP software on the Ubuntu machine is 1.7.3.
> According to a list of Linux-supported printers at
> http://hplip.sourceforge.net/supported_devices/combined.html , the HP
> DJ D1341 is fully supported and requires HPLIP 1.6.6, or greater.
> That HP list also gives the "Print Class" of the D1341 as "DJ3320".
> It so happens that the HP Deskjet 3320 is mentioned in the Ubuntu
> "Add a printer" dialog.  Would it be better to select the HP Deskjet
> 3320 as the printer choice, rather than the D1300, given that the
> D1341 is not a selection option?

TANSTAAFL