[NBLUG/talk] Lowering resolution on JPGs

Lincoln Peters anfrind at gmail.com
Sun Apr 20 07:27:13 PDT 2008

On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 5:59 AM, Jack Smith <jack.delbert at gmail.com> wrote:
> I can do this one at a time on Gimp, but is there a way to do hundreds at a
> time?

I know that the "convert" utility in ImageMagick will do it, but I
can't remember the exact commands to do it (I don't do it very often).
 If you want to resize a whole directory of JPEGS, I think you're
going to want to do something like:

mkdir new_jpegs
for file in *.jpg; do convert -resize <new width>x<new height> $file
new_jpegs/$file; done

(Everything between "for" and "done" should be on one line, but it
will probably be broken up when I send it.)

If that doesn't work, read the man page for convert.  It's terse, but
I'm sure you'll find the correct options there.

--
Lincoln Peters
<anfrind at gmail.com>