[NBLUG/talk] Printing PDF files - slow...

Robert P. Thille list-nblug-talk at rangat.org
Tue Apr 22 14:25:35 PDT 2008

Eric Eisenhart wrote:
> Dave,
>
> If you're printing PDFs with CUPS as your backend, you should also try
> using simply "lp file.pdf" -- CUPS has all the brains to autodetect
> and autoconvert PDF files already.  Doing things this way may be able
> to translate the PDF directly to the format for your printer without
> an intermediate step of converting to PS.

 From the sound of it, I think his printer setup on the machine doing
the print spooling (not the printer itself) is doing the rasterizing and
then sending the bitmaps to the printer.  That would result in the 30MB
spool file and the slow printing.

So yeah, I think Eric is right and you need to convince CUPS to do the
right thing, possibly with the selection of the right PPD or a
configuration option?

Robert

--
HELP ME FIGHT CANCER!           DONATE HERE: http://tinyurl.com/ynq7uk