[NBLUG/talk] [OT] Re: Takoyaki redux

Jack Smith jack.delbert at gmail.com
Sat Apr 26 04:45:40 PDT 2008

On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 1:02 AM, Bill Kendrick <nbs at sonic.net> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 07:54:03PM -0400, Jack Smith wrote:
> >    I described takoyaki to your mother and she said something like "oh
> yeah,
> >    ebleskuer".  Turns out the Danes have been making something similar
> with
> >    the same kind of pan forever.  Aebleskiver.
>
> Woah, I had a friend in school (think: 1984, 1985) who's mom made those as
> some kind of international day, and _recently_ I remembered them and
> was trying to remember what they were called.
>
> Cue X-files music.

Oh, it's even more X-files than you think.  First, I didn't mean to send
this to NBLUG, only to my daughters, so how did it get to you just when you
needed it?  Second, how did it get to ME when I needed it?  I was just over
in Japan and ate takoyaki.  I was all over Google and couldn't find anyplace
to buy a takoyaki pan.  I hunted around the oriental stores near home, no
pan.  Then a commercial on TV is selling the fool thing (to make "puff
pancakes") and my daughter who works at Walgreens says "oh yeah, we have
those things and I can use my discount'!  Go figure.

--
Jack Smith

English doesn't borrow from other languages -- English follows other
languages down dark alleys and takes what it wants.