[NBLUG/talk] RAID?

Lincoln Peters anfrind at gmail.com
Tue Jan 1 22:03:50 PST 2008

On Dec 31, 2007 1:27 PM, Scrappy Laptop <scrappylaptop at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Nope; I was actually talking about two separate arrays (and therefore
> volumes) that happen to be on the same set of physical disks.  Lose a drive
> and two arrays would need to be rebuilt.  I would not really advise it since
> the scattered I/O would kill your response times; it just led to the further
> extrapolation of the extra abstraction layer that would ultimately present a
> single volume that actually consisted of two separate RAID arrays on the
> same set of drives for the sole purpose of using every last available block
> of storage.  Just a silly mind game, that's all.

For what it's worth, I have set up two separate arrays on the same set
of physical disks, and it didn't kill performance on either of them.
However, at no point did I try to combine them into a single array.

So I guess I'm back to creating my own version of Google File System?

--
Lincoln Peters
<anfrind at gmail.com>