[NBLUG/talk] [WLUG] Re: More questions about RAID

Jack Smith jack.delbert at gmail.com
Sat Jan 5 11:10:27 PST 2008

On Jan 5, 2008 1:54 PM, Jack Smith <jack.delbert at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jan 5, 2008 1:07 PM, Clif Flynt <clif at cflynt.com> wrote:
>
> > When I've RAIDed a system, I started out by making the devices
> > RAID devices.  It's a partition type, just like swap or NTFS.
> >
> > I'll bow to experts, but I don't think you can upgrade an existing
> > file system to RAID.
> >

> Drat!  That's what it's starting to look like to me too.

On the other hand, how can you set up software RAID _before_ you load your
operating system?  Don't you have to have an operating system and an app
(mdadm) _first_?  Or does it mean root can never be software RAID?  My head
is starting to hurt.
--
Jack Smith

English doesn't borrow from other languages -- English follows other
languages down dark alleys and takes what it wants.