[NBLUG/talk] Sound distortion while scrolling/moving windows in X

Dave Sisley dsisley at sonic.net
Thu Jan 10 05:51:28 PST 2008

Lincoln Peters wrote:
> On Jan 9, 2008 10:39 PM, Dave Sisley <dsisley at sonic.net> wrote:
>
>> Here's a weird one.  If I scroll in a window while listening to music,
>> the sound becomes distorted until I stop scrolling.  It also happens if
>> I'm moving a window around on the screen.  The system monitor & top
>> shows the CPU jumps up when I'm fooling with the windows.  It's usually
>> X that's at the top of top, but if I'm scrolling in Firefox, both X and
>> FF use up the CPU.
>>

> I've noticed this with a variety of low-end sound controllers that are
> built into motherboards.  If you disable it and install a dedicated
> sound card (sometimes you can find a Sound Blaster Live at the
> Computer Recycling Center--they sound great and they work well on
> Linux), you'll probably find that the problem completely disappears.

Thanks Lincoln.  I might do that - but I swear this wasn't happening
until I upgraded to Fedora 8 (fresh install, not really an upgrade),
just a week or so ago.

It feels like there should be a software solution.  F8 uses a new sound
server: 'PulseAudio', so I'm focussing my goolging at that for the moment.

-dave.

--
Dave Sisley
dsisley at sonic.net