[NBLUG/talk] Sound distortion while scrolling/moving windows in X

Bob Blick bbblick at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 10 08:39:24 PST 2008

Hi Dave,

It's an interrupt issue and xorg. Messing with some
additions to xorg.conf settings may make it a little
better. I forget which ones. You may also get some
results by changing the IRQ channel of the sound chip.
IRQ controllers quite often have interaction even with
different channels, so although it may appear that you
aren't sharing IRQs, changing the channel may do
something. You may also mess with the BIOS settings
for "IRQ delayed request". But the time I had to deal
with it, it was just a bug in xorg that was not
repairable, affecting certain combinations of
motherboard and sound chip, and I either had to go
back to an earlier version of xorg or get another
sound card, which is what I did.

Cheerful regards,

Bob