[NBLUG/talk] Hello

Troy Arnold troy at zenux.net
Wed Jan 16 23:28:50 PST 2008

On Thu, Jan 17, 2008 at 04:51:58PM +1000, Jeff Hemminger wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I just joined the list. I'm not actually in the North Bay, but I used to be
> and I hope to return one day, and I know this list would be mo' betta than
> any local list...

Hey, same here.  North Bay expat.  Welcome!

> I've got a new suse 10x installation on a virtual machine I want to use to
> do builds and deployment on a pet project. I want to install lynx, but I'm
> getting rpm version problems. I looked in yast and didn't see lynx listed as
> an option for me out of the box.
> My lynx rpm is looking for libcrypto.so.0.9.7 and libssl.so.0.9.7.

Well, you could look around a little harder for a lynx RPM with the correct
dependencies.  I'm not sure where to go for third party SUSE RPM's...

Do you need lynx in particular or just a good text-mode browser?  If the
later, check out 'links' and 'w3m'. One or both should be included with
SUSE.

> I have an newer version of libssl installed. My question is, what do I do
> now? Is there an easy way to install both libssl and crypto versions?

You most certainly don't want to go around futzing with these core
libraries.  All the other SSL using packages on your system were built
against the distro's versions (including, probably, the package manager
itself).  While it's possible to relocate and stash alternative versions
elsewhere in your filesystem, you'll just end up with a hosed system if you
don't know *exactly* what you're doing.

> don't have or need gcc installed; do I need to do that and then compile my
> own lynx?

You could try that if lynx is a necessity.  Ideally you'd make your own
RPM for it, but that's not trivial.  At the very least you'd want to run
the ./configure step with a prefix of say /usr/local.  Try very hard not to
install non-packaged stuff into /usr proper.  Staying out of /usr with your
own stuff is a key to long-term reliable systems.

-troy