[NBLUG/talk] Older Server

Mark Street mark at oswizards.com
Fri Jan 18 21:10:46 PST 2008

Hi,init console input output error respawning

This does not look good from my point of view.  I have seen this before when
configuring vgetty with voice/fax modems way back when.

The key is to find out exactly where the boot is failing.. it is in inittab.
I can tell you right now it is not making it past ID si - system
initialization

Looking at the output the id1 - 6 are the different run levels
from /etc/inittab, prior to those running init runs rc.sysinit.  Look to
inittab and rc.sysinit.  You might check to see if /etc/rc.sysinit exists...
and you might also check to see if you have a /dev/console, it might be good
to check inittab.

If you look at the /etc/rc.sysinit script you will see the order in which
these things happen.  You can even check the binaries that are executed...
and see if they exist.... and are executable.

keywords
/etc/inittab
/etc/rc.sysinit
/dev/console

More screen sludge and a few log files would help if you can gather some up.

--
Mark Street, D.C., RHCE
CTO Alliance Medical Center